It gives me great pleasure to publicly share what I’ve been working on since last years (really my whole life).
Next Era Ed is about Learning
Share a great learning experience on this Stixy board or add your comment to this post.
Please use this form to share your ideas or get involved.
Piecing together Digital Learning
1. Smart Online Environment
- Get a WordPress Blog
- Change the theme
- Make a Post
- Embed YouTube (remember &rel=0)?
- Try TubeChop.com (see the Tubechop Update tutorial)
- Get Firefox for extensions like the video downloader?
- Embed all kinds of media in WordPress (maps, images, documents or polls?)
2. Rich Resources
- Tom’s Netvibes
- Tutorial: Add a Netvibes Feed
- iTunes – Embed a podcast with a player
- TED / YouTube Channels
- Add the Tools Panel for your site (and use these icons to edit it for yourself?)
3. Digital Learning Pedagogy
Look to Learn : : Learn to Look
- Look to Learn – overview
- Look to Learn Web site
- Look to Learn Sample Prompts
- Thinking Routines overview
- Thinking Routines from the Visible Thinking team at Harvard
- Article on Making Thinking Visible by David Perkins
- Miniature Earth
- VisionShift: Whose Future?
- “I Can”
- Nuclear Giving
- There’s Data in them ther Kids (cartoon)
- The Global Rich List (interactive site)
Create a ClassPortal
- Child Slave Labor News Updates
- About ClassPortals
- ClassPortal Topics
- “Chapter 1″
- Contribute to Wikipedia? – Simple English Wikipedia on China vs. regular China page
WebQuests for Constructing Knowledge
WebQuests by Tom
- Freedom Fighter or Terrorist?
- Tuskegee Tragedy
- CroolZone – School Safety WebQuest
- Does the Tiger Eat her Cubs?
WebQuests by Others
- The Nuclear Waste WebQuest
- Preparing for a Career
- Study in Hyperrealism
- Australian homes
Return to the “What are WebQuests?” Stixyboard to update your ideas
- Detailed Process for Drafting a WebQuest (doc)
- Tom’s Current WebQuest 2.0 Process (pdf)
- Use the article above and the Designing a WebQuest 2.0 (doc) and the links below as a guide.
- Freedom Fighter or Terrorist Group Scaffold Sheet (you can modify)
- Tom’s Educational Leadership article: The Learning Power of WebQuests
- Tom’s longer version: What WebQuests Are (Really).
- Bernie weighing in on “Real WebQuests”
Visible Thinking Tools
- Stixy (try this)
- Glogster (EDU registration)
- Thesis Builder – to generate thesis statements and essay outlines
Site to visit Regularly
- iTunes Podcasts Web sampler
- Google Zeitgeist
- Google News Search feed (example: Natural Disaster)
- TED (themes and A to Z)
4. Self-managed Learning Framework for students
C E Q • A LL / Seek all!
- The Remembered 20%
- Map Skills to Hit 50
- The Students’ Half