School Library Conference – Western Australia
Santa Maria College, Attadale WA
It gives me great pleasure to publicly share what I’ve been working on these last years (really my whole life).
Next Era Ed is about Learning
Share a great learning experience on this Stixy board or add your comment to this post.
Please use this form to share your ideas or get involved.
We are entering an era when it can be stated truthfully that a self-motivated student with broadband access to the Web can learn more than he or she could in school. Society has changed around us and one of the few certainties is that these changes will continue. Some of the main changes undermine cultures focused on standardised outcomes and the myth of uniform excellence. In other words, a culture like “school.” The world surrounding schools has moved from a “one-size-fits-all” mentality to one where digital customisation creates a world “all-fit-to-one’s-size”. In this new reality, the Next Era of Education will require re-vision of four main dimensions to “schooling.”
Digital Learning Pedagogy
Look to Learn : : Learn to Look
- Look to Learn – overview
- Look to Learn Web site
- Look to Learn Sample Prompts
- Thinking Routines overview
- Thinking Routines from the Visible Thinking team at Harvard
- Article on Making Thinking Visible by David Perkins
- Miniature Earth
- VisionShift: Whose Future?
- “I Can”
- Nuclear Giving
- There’s Data in them ther Kids (cartoon)
- The Global Rich List (interactive site)
Visible Thinking Tools
- Stixy (try this)
- Glogster (EDU registration)
- Thesis Builder – to generate thesis statements and essay outlines
Create a ClassPortal
- Child Slave Labor News Updates
- About ClassPortals
- ClassPortal Topics
- “Chapter 1″
- Contribute to Wikipedia? – Simple English Wikipedia on China vs. regular China page
Site to visit Regularly
- iTunes Podcasts Web sampler
- Google Zeitgeist
- Google News Search feed (example: Natural Disaster)
- TED (themes and A to Z)
- RSS in Plain English (Common Craft)
- Tom’s Netvibes Page s and Studies of Asia Resources
- Tom’s Pageflakes Feeds
- Tutorial: Add a Netvibes Feed
Web 2 Tools
- Download the Web 2 Tools Overview handout and paste in the Tools Panel for your site.
- Tutorial: Add a New Page
WebQuests for Constructing Knowledge
WebQuests by Tom
- Freedom Fighter or Terrorist?
- Tuskegee Tragedy
- CroolZone – School Safety WebQuest
- Does the Tiger Eat her Cubs?
- Detailed Process for Drafting a WebQuest (doc)
- Tom’s Current WebQuest 2.0 Process (pdf)
- Use the article above and the Designing a WebQuest 2.0 (doc) and the links below as a guide.
- Freedom Fighter or Terrorist Group Scaffold Sheet (you can modify)
- Tom’s Educational Leadership article: The Learning Power of WebQuests
- Tom’s longer version: What WebQuests Are (Really).
- Bernie weighing in on “Real WebQuests”
Self-managed Learning Framework for students
C E Q • A LL / Seek all!
- Overview / Rationale
- Profiles (pdf)
- Rubric (pdf)