Two main game-changing developments both support and require education to change. One are the emerging technologies that personalise access to rich information (such as Sixth Sense). The second area of amazing developments is psychology and the related pedagogies. If we tap into the right research, here’s what we can expect:
Those who know my work are aware that these bullet lists derive from Self-Determination Theory, Cultures of Thinking, Habits of Mind, Flow Theory, Grit and Authentic Happiness.
Look to Learn
- Online Samples by K-12 / KLA
- Look to Learn – overview
- Look to Learn Web site
- Look to Learn Sample Prompts
- Look to Learn RSS Feeds on Netvibes
- Diigo Look to Learn Links
- Thinking Routines from the Visible Thinking team at Harvard
The Tumblr Twist
To “Work the Web” for education, we need a flexible space that empowers us to easily work with rich media. Our first stop will be Tumblr.
Full Tumblr Tutorial page – new!
- Start an account: Tumblr Login
- Find sources of rich media to follow: Tom’s Tumblr archives list & Follow (+)
- Tom’s Most Reblogged Tumblr Sources:The Daily What, The Guardian, The Atlantic, The Week Magazine,The New Yorker, Al Jazeera
- Explore Tumblr and search Tags: https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/
- Review your dashboard from those you follow
- Next: Reblog (but Why? – Look to Learn site + Copy/Paste Prompts )
- Get a WordPress Blog
- Change the theme
- Make a Post
- Embed YouTube (remember &rel=0)?
- Try TubeChop.com (see the Tubechop Update tutorial)?
- Get Firefox or Chrome for extensions like the video downloader?
- Embed all kinds of media in WordPress (maps, images, documents or polls?)
- Customising your Menu
- Getting Started Tutorials from WordPress.com or WordPress Lessons or Overall WordPress Support Tutorials
- Copy / Paste Look to Learn Prompts into a page on your blog
- Copy / Paste the Web 2 Tools Panel?
- Use the About Page to capture your goals for using the Blog
Fine-tuning your Blog
Enrich your site with content and rich media
Web 2 Tools
- Download the Web 2 Tools Overview handout
- Explore the Tools Panel
- Complete 2 Day Workshop Handout
- Netvibes – Tom’s Podcast Page
- RSS in Plain English (Common Craft)
- Tutorial: Add a Netvibes Feed
- Year 3, Year 7, Ancient History Podcasts, Studies of Asia Resources
- iTunes – Embed a podcast with a player
- Add Flickr images through Creative Commons Advanced Search
- TED / YouTube Channels
- Use Dropbox for online file storage (podcasts)
Manage your Rich Media Links
- (Social Bookmarking explained by Common Craft)
- Diigo Social Bookmarks: get the toolbar, login and start bookmarking!
- Consider joining or pinching from the Look to Learn Diigo Group
Activity 5: The ClassPortal Twist
- Child Slave Labor News (see also “Slavery Footprint“)
- PodKids Australia
- Possible Topics?
- Brainstorm your passions (Stixy)
For Ideas & Inspiration
- OXFAM – Reshaping our World – Poverty Maps
- Idea Index from the Buckminster Fuller Challenge
- The Girl who Silenced the U.N. for Five Minutes
- Online Fundraising Efforts at Razoo
- 50 Items That Should Change the World
- Contribute to Wikipedia? – Simple English Launceston Wikipedia page vs. regular Launceston page
C E Q • A LL / Seek all!
Self-managed Learning Framework for students
- Overview / Rationale
- Profiles (pdf)
- Rubric (pdf)