Note: Once your iPad is set up for local networks with its WiFi Address, make sure you know your wireless passwords. Once you have added these zones, they will be remembered and you won’t have to log into them again.
Do you want to download the handout?
As we wait for WiFi access, let’s share what we’ve found so far. Some things can be demonstrated through the projector.
- iBooks (eBook Library) – download and add free books
- Flipboard RSS FeedReader – choose RSS feeds & access offline
- DropBox – free online file storage for private or shared (mp3?) files. Syncs with Writer.
- Diigo Web Highlighter (installation guide, Oxley Learners)
- Add Favourite Websites to your Home Screen (Increase size and Add Bookmark)
Things you might like
- ABC iView (media streaming)
- TED – Technology Entertainment Design (consider an iTunes Subscription)
Subject Specific Apps (Free + Paid)
- English: Writer ($4.99) & all “Great Novels” or Browse Free books on iBooks
- Science: Planets (free) or The Elements: a visual exploration ($16.99)
- Geography: MapProjector with Google Maps ($2.49)
- History: World History Maps, History Tools or This Day in History (all free) or World History Documents ($3.99)
- Maths: QuickGraph
- Music: Virtuoso (piano)
Activity #1 – Shared Analysis
In this activity we will use the Diigo Web Highlighter in the context of discussing uses for the iPad in the classroom.
- Go to this Web site: 10 Ways to use the iPad in the Classroom
- Make sure you have your Diigo Web Highligher installed
- If you get stuck with the deleting bit, paste this into the Bookmark in your iPad when you are editing the Web Highlighter:
- Make sure you have a Diigo Account
- Go ahead and highlight, add a new comment or comment on someone else’s comment.
- Should we use an education account? A possible pilot project?
Activity #2 – Social Bookmarking
Now that you have access to Diigo and the Oxley Learners Group, let’s help each other by adding links to our shared collection.
- Make sure you have the WebHighlighter bookmarking button, a Diigo account and membership in the Oxley Learners Group.
- Surf the Web and when you find a link that you want to share with students or staff, Click the WebHighlighter and add it to our Group.
- Use the Tag Dictionary or add your own tags
Here is a cloud of current links:
Activity #3 – Shared Writing
Try our a shared document. Here is a Google Doc that is open for everyone’s input. Share something interesting or whatever you like.
- Contribute to a Google Doc
- Do you want to sign-up for a Gmail / Google Apps account?
- Do you want to contribute to an FAQ page on our use of iPads?
Activity #4 – Online Survey
Google also provides online forms that work great for easily posted surveys or quizzes.
- Please take this quick feedback survey
Resources from Apple
- iPad Guided Tours (on YouTube) or the Apple site
- iPad Commercials
- iPad Apps previewed
- Browse iTunes Podcasts (from the Web)
- The complete iPad User Guide (pdf)