Thanks to Cecilie Yates every few years I get to work with Teacher Librarians from the Sutherland area. This time we’ve organised to meet at Cronulla High School to spend the day looking through strategies particularly suited to the role of the teacher Librarian as the chief Information Manager of most schools.
This set of handouts was provided so that participants don’t have to worry too much about writing down Web addresses during the sessions. An even more complete set with descriptions of Web 2 tools and advice about CEQ•ALL is also available for download.
After an initial Presentation we’ll move through the following topics with plenty of time to analyse examples and discuss integration.
Web 2.0 Intro?
I’m not sure this is needed with this group, but just in case…
- Charting the Web 2.0 Difference
- Best Web 2 for Learning Apps
- The Web 2 Tools Panel
- Web 2.0 Terminology
Look to Learn Links
- Look to Learn – overview
- Look to Learn Web site
- Look to Learn Sample Prompts
- Thinking Routines from the Visible Thinking team at Harvard
- Article on Making Thinking Visible by David Perkins
- Making Look to Learn Activities
- Miniature Earth
- “I Can”
- Nuclear Giving
- Mankind is no Island
- Polling Room (cartoon)
- The Global Rich List (interactive site)
- What are ClassPortals? – Intro Chapter and possible topics
- Sample Template (with Pageflakes Feeds, Diigo Group, Web 2 Tools panel)
- PodKids Australia
- Holocaust Literature
- Digital Citizens
- Modern Fairy Tales
- Phillip Island
- Freedom Fighter or Terrorist? (+ doc worksheet)
- Tuskegee Tragedy
- CroolZone – School Safety WebQuest
- Does the Tiger Eat her Cubs?
- The Nuclear Waste WebQuest
- Preparing for a Career
- Study in Hyperrealism
- Australian homes
- Detailed Process for Drafting a WebQuest (doc)
- Tom’s Current WebQuest 2.0 Process (pdf)
- Use the article above and the Designing a WebQuest 2.0 (doc) and the links below as a guide.
C E Q • A LL / Seek all!
Managing your Rich Media Links
- Pageflakes Library Feeds (Tutorial: Add a Pageflakes Feeds Page)
- Diigo Social Bookmarks: get the toolbar, login and start bookmarking!
- Consider joining or pinching from one of these Diigo Groups:
- Thesis Builder – to generate thesis statements and essay outlines
- Exploratree – visible thinking scaffolds
- Twiddla – collaborative workspace
- Stixy (try this)
Building your Digital Learning Platform
Choose your Approach
WordPress, get started!
- Get a WordPress Blog
- Embed YouTube (remember &rel=0)
- Try TubeChop.com
- Embed a podcast with a player
- Embed all kinds of media in WordPress (maps, images, documents or polls?)
- Revisit the Thinking Prompts: Look to Learn Sample Prompts and Thinking Routines
Students as ongoing Content Creators
Audio – Podcast
- PodKids Australia, Croftfoot Primary, HartBeat Elementary Radio, Korero Pt England
- Creating Podcasts – by Tony Vincent
Text – Wikipedia Page
- How to Write an Article for Wikipedia (video)
- Setting Projects & more (from Wikipedia)
- Simple English Wikipedia
Video – Interviews, Guides, Screencasts?
- Skype (record on Mac or PC) and WeToku for Interviews
- How to Make a Video (basic Text)
- How to Make a YouTube Video + advice from TheOnion!
- Video Production (including Green Screen)
- Screencasts: Jing, ScreenJelly, SnapsPro