We’ve got a great day ahead of us (see the blurb), but as a warm-up and introduction, use the Comments link at the bottom of this post to:
- Introduce yourself (your role at your school, previous use of ICTs for learning)
Formal Introductions & De-brief
Now that we have used ICTs to support learning, let’s do a face-to-face introduction and de-brief the advantages of online comments and input.
No one has to tell us that technology is changing our culture and the lives of our students. How will it impact education? How should what we do in schools change to best serve our purpose? What is our purpose?
- Presentation: Sixth Sense & Beyond?
Question: if learners have 24/7 anywhere access to information profiled just for them, what are 3 – 5 main knowledge, skills or values they will need to succeed?
Use this Stixyboard to post the ideas generated at your table.
Two main game-changing developments both support and require education to change. One are the emerging technologies that personalise access to rich information (such as Sixth Sense). The second area of amazing developments is psychology and the related pedagogies. If we tap into the right research, here’s what we can expect:
All of which get integrated through the new Classroom Routines of the Edge-ucators Way and the Seld-managed Learning Process of CEQ•LL
Look to Learn
- Online Samples by K-12 / KLA
- Look to Learn – overview
- Look to Learn Web site
- Look to Learn Sample Prompts
- Diigo Look to Learn Links
- Thinking Routines from the Visible Thinking team at Harvard
Getting Started: Tumblr
Full Tumblr Tutorial page – new!
- Start an account: Tumblr Login
- Find sources of rich media to follow: Tom’s Tumblr archives list & Follow (+)
- Tom’s Most Reblogged Tumblr Sources:The Daily What, The Guardian, The Atlantic, The Week Magazine, The New Yorker, Al Jazeera
- Explore Tumblr and search Tags: https://www.tumblr.com/tagged/
- Review your dashboard from those you follow
- Next: Reblog (but Why? – Look to Learn site + Copy/Paste Prompts )
2 – 4 5 – 10 Look to Learn Activities for your students
Added Bonus?:Web 2 Tools
- Examples: iDesign, International Studies, OurSpace
- Get a WordPress Blog
- Change the theme
- Make a Post
- Embed YouTube (remember &rel=0)?
- Try TubeChop.com (see the Tubechop Update tutorial)
- Get Firefox or Chrome for extensions like the video downloader?
- Embed all kinds of media in WordPress (maps, images, documents or polls?)
- Customising your Menu
- Getting Started Tutorials from WordPress.com or WordPress Lessons or Overall WordPress Support Tutorials
- WordPress Shortcodes – sample
- Rebel without a Cause use of EtherPad
- Copy / Paste Look to Learn Prompts into a page on your blog
- Copy / Paste the Web 2 Tools Panel?
- Use the About Page to capture your goals for using the Blog
The ClassPortal Twist
- Child Slave Labor News (see also “Slavery Footprint“)
- PodKids Australia
- Possible Topics?
- Brainstorm your passions
- Contribute to Wikipedia? – Simple English Wikipedia on China vs. regular Adelaide page
- Change.org: Social Network For Social Activism
- OXFAM – Reshaping our World – Poverty Maps (+ Complete Story Library from OXFAM)
- Idea Index from the Buckminster Fuller Challenge
- The Girl who Silenced the U.N. for Five Minutes
- End Homelessness
- 10 Revolutionary Acts of Courage by Ordinary People
- 50 Items That Should Change the World
C E Q • A LL / Seek all!
Self-managed Learning Framework for students