CEGSA – August 13 – Adelaide, South Australia
Computers in Education Group South Australia
St Peter’s College Junior School, North Terrace, St Peters.
Keynote: “It’s Broke, so Let’s Fix it” – re-making education for our Digital Era
We now live in era when self-motivated students with computers and broadband access can learn more than they could in school. Not surprising since “school” is a construct designed using the best technology available one hundred years ago. Although education has tried many reforms in the past thirty years, all have been based on this old model. It’s time for a new construct. Society has changed around us, undermining cultures focused on standardised outcomes and the myth of uniform excellence. In other words, a culture like “school.” The world surrounding schools has moved from a “one-size-fits-all” mentality to one where digital customisation enables a world “all-fit-to-one’s-size”. In this new reality, learn about the four critical pieces needed to succeed and how you can get students and staff started today!
Presentation slides – download: 22 mb .mov (download the file and then open in a movie viewer or Firefox)
90 min hands-on Workshop: “Unpacking Next Era Ed”
This hands-on workshop follows from the keynote, “It’s Broke, so Let’s Fix It!” and details the main strategies of The Edge-ucators Way and CEQ•ALL (“Seek All”). Find out how Web 2 tools and rich media can be integrated into evidence-based frameworks that you can use to shift from teacher-directed to student-managed learning that will span students’ school years and result in greater achievement and preparation for their futures.
The Edge-ucators Way
Look to Learn
- Miniature Earth
- VisionShift: Whose Future?
- “I Can”
- Nuclear Giving
- There’s Data in them ther Kids (cartoon)
- The Global Rich List (interactive site)
- Look to Learn – overview
- Look to Learn Web site
- Look to Learn Sample Prompts
- Thinking Routines overview
- Thinking Routines from the Visible Thinking team at Harvard
Interaction: Comment on this Post: how could you use / support Look to Learns?
For Ideas & Inspiration
- OXFAM – Reshaping our World – Poverty Maps
- Idea Index from the Buckminster Fuller Challenge
- The Girl who Silenced the U.N. for Five Minutes
- Online Fundraising Efforts at Razoo
- 50 Items That Should Change the World
WebQuests by Tom
- Freedom Fighter or Terrorist?
- Tuskegee Tragedy
- CroolZone – School Safety WebQuest
- Does the Tiger Eat her Cubs?
- Detailed Process for Drafting a WebQuest (doc)
- Tom’s Current WebQuest 2.0 Process (pdf)
- Use the article above and the Designing a WebQuest 2.0 (doc) and the links below as a guide.
- Freedom Fighter or Terrorist Group Scaffold Sheet (you can modify)
- Tom’s Educational Leadership article: The Learning Power of WebQuests
- Tom’s longer version: What WebQuests Are (Really).
- Bernie weighing in on “Real WebQuests”
Activity: Creating Your Smart Online Space
- Complete 2 Day Workshop Handouts
- Get a WordPress Blog
- Change the theme
- Make a Post
- Embed YouTube (remember &rel=0)
- Try TubeChop.com
- Get Firefox for extensions like the video downloader?
- Embed all kinds of media in WordPress (maps, images, documents or polls?)
- A practice post with embeds
Activity – Web 2 Tools
- Download the Web 2 Tools Overview handout
- Explore the Tools Panel
- Copy and Paste the Tools Panel into a page for your site
- Choose from different Web 2 icons
- Create a menu for navigation
Self-managed Learning Framework for students
C E Q • A LL / Seek all!