School Safety WebQuest
Parents & Community Members
How would Parents & Community Members feel about violence at schools? Your job is to understand this perspective, to become an expert, knowing the concerns of people who may not be directly involved with schools, but who have a personal interest in what happens there.
You may choose to make up your own questions or use those provided.
- How would you feel being a parent of a student in schools today? How dangerous do you think schools really are? Try to understand what parents of all kinds of students would feel. What do you think should be the main priority of schools?
- What should parents know about talking with and supporting their children? What should community members know to better understand what teens go through?
- What influence do people think the media has on youth? What do experts say is the problem with video games? Does the community have a reasonable interest in limiting or censoring violence in the media? Do you think the individual's right or the community's safety is more important?
- What do you see as the main threats to children? Are any of these things that can be eliminated fairly easily? Are some children in greater danger than others? What should be done with children who are violent? What if these children were yours?
Your answers to these questions should help you take a position on the main question(s) listed below. Remember, your answers should reflect what Parents & Community Members would think and feel:
Use the links below to find answers. If you think you need more site to review, use the extensive Topic Hotlist and broaden your search.
Why all this violence in schools?!!
In other words...
- Why does it happen?
- Who is responsible?
- How can we stop it?
- How does all this relate to the world outside the school gates?
- Talking with Kids
- from the Kaiser Family Foundation
- 10 Tips for talking with kids about tough issues
- from Talking with Kids - Kaiser Foundation
- Kids and Guns - Common Sense Safety Tips
- (use poster as an example for Group Process - web sites?)
- In the News - from Common Sense about Kids and Guns
- headlines and links to online articles
- Raising Children to Resist Violence: What You Can Do - (for Parents)
- from the American Psychological Association
- Poll: More parents worried about school safety
- from CNN
- A Quiet Battle Against Gangs
- from the Washington Post
- Explaining Death to a Child
- from the William Wendt Center for Loss and Healing
- Street Gang Dynamics
- By Steve Nawojczyk
- Burn the Schools-Save the Children
- compares schools and prisons
- How Television Images Affect Children
- by Ron Kaufman of Kill Your Television
- Video Games and Children
- ERIC - Clearinghouse on Elementary and Early Childhood Education
- Your Teen's Brain: it really is Different!
- by barbara Cooke at FamilyEducation.com