Welcome to Hopetoun educators!
Interaction! Let’s begin by adding some of your experiences using digital learning as comments to this post.
During our one day together we will focus on successfully using online resources to increase student achievement and learning. In other words, we’re going Digital and becoming “Cutting Edge-ucators.”
To do this most effectively, I have come to see you need four things to be successful:
- A vision (or reason to bother)
- An online platform (where the learning takes place)
- Some strategies guaranteed to succeed
- And a framework for student ownership of learning
1 – A Vision
There are two documents I’d suggest:
To achieve these goals, consider the following pedagogies:
- Self-Determination Theory
- Cultures of Thinking, Habits of Mind
- Flow Theory, Grit
- Authentic Happiness.
Interaction! What about ICTs & Learning? Use this EtherPad / Primary Pad to share your thinking. (and check the new Wordle!).
2 – A Platform
3 – Strategies Guaranteed to Succeed
- Look to Learn, current feed, selected activities and the Tumblr Tutorial page
- Interaction!: Digital Aura – See – Think – Wonder
- ClassPortal (Stixy for topics)
4 – A Framework for Student Ownership of Learning
C E Q • A LL / Seek all!
Self-managed Learning Framework for students
Level: Use & Create
- Look to Learn: View highlighted activities & Look to Learn Tumblr Feed
- Join Tumblr
- Develop your “Follow Quilt”
- Start a WordPress Blog (see “WordPress” below)
- Experiment with all types of uploads to a post (see “WordPress” below)
- Develop a few activities and links for your students
- Explore WebQuests: The Rebel, Freedom Fighter, Big Wide World, Crool Zone, Searching for China
- Consider using the CEQ•ALL Rubric (pdf) on student research / group projects
Resources for Sessions
Sign-up for WordPress
- Get a WordPress Blog
- Change the theme
- Make a Post
- Embed all kinds of media in WordPress (maps, images, documents or polls?)
- Embed YouTube (remember &rel=0)?
- Get Firefox or Chrome for extensions like the video downloader?
- Customising your Menu
- Getting Started Tutorials from WordPress.com or WordPress Lessons or Overall WordPress Support Tutorials