Jacquie Bourne has arranged for a two-day workshop for 18 of her colleagues at Launceston Church Grammar School. Although it’s near the end of the school year and everyone is likely to be a little groggy, it’s also a great chance to reinvigorate an area of study with rich online resources and authentic personal learning. So let’s get to it!
Please begin by using the comments link on this post to introduce yourself: share your name, teaching areas, current use of technology and at least one goal for these two days.
This can be brief, but it starts the ball rolling.
After adding your comment, you might like to download a digital copy of the handout packet for this 2 Day Workshop.
Activity 1: Great examples from previous Workshops
To get a sense of what we will be creating over the next two days, please explore the work created by participants in previous sessions. Try to notice the features, strategies and benefits gained from such a learning platform.
- Literature, Teacher Professional Learning
- Year 9 Class Portal for Civics and Citizenship
- Mrs Williames Year 5 Blog
- Mr Bates’s Online Space
- Thinking Tools 4 Me
- International Studies
- Carolyn C
- Maffra Indo
- Wild’s Epic Nihongo Blog!
- Mr Barlow’s Blog
Works in Progress
- Jacquie Bourne – http://jacb.wordpress.com
- Fiona Wills – http://fhwfhw.wordpress.com
- Jeffrey Clarke – http://jeffstevec.wordpress.com
- Mark Cox – http://www.markandrewcox.wordpress.com
- Fiona Hickman – http://fhickman.wordpress.com
- Barry Dudgeon – http://bdudgeon.wordpress.com
- Patrick Moroney – http://pmoroney.wordpress.com
- Geraldine Hussey – http://ghussey.wordpress.com
- Pushpa Kunasegaran – http://pkuna.wordpress.com
- Jami Lane – http://jlane2.wordpress.com/
- Michelle Cooper – http://mcooper77.wordpress.com
Brainstorm what you noticed using a shared Stixy board (try working in pairs or threes and then adding your shared responses)
Activity 2: Discussion on 1:1
Year 9 & 10 students and teachers each have tablet computers for over a year. How does that change teaching and learning? Please add your personal thoughts to this shared writing space. Do you want to consider Tom’s take on the 4 essential requirements for successful 1:1 learning?
Activity 3: Creating Your Smart Online Space
- Get a WordPress Blog (Tom’s Sample blog)
- Change the theme
- Make a Post
- Embed YouTube (remember &rel=0)?
- Try TubeChop.com (see the Tubechop Update tutorial)
- Get Firefox for extensions like the video downloader?
- Embed all kinds of media in WordPress (maps, images, documents or polls?)
Fine-tuning your Blog
- Comment Settings
- Siderbar widgets
- Various How-to Videos from WordPress
- Add as a link to your Sidebar (video) or Add a link (page)
Activity 4 – Integrated Emerging Technologies and Pedagogies
Tom’s pedagogy presentation (download .mov 16 mb)
Look to Learn : : Learn to Look
- Which is the Real China? (taggalaxy)
- Nuclear Giving (PSA)
- Chris Jordan (Visual Arts)
- There’s Data in them ther Kids (political cartoon)
- The Global Rich List (interactive site)
- Miniature Earth (video analogy)
- VisionShift: Whose Future? (1994 Internet promo)
- “I Can” (TEDx)
- Look to Learn – overview
- Look to Learn Web site
- Look to Learn Sample Prompts
- Thinking Routines from the Visible Thinking team at Harvard
Task: Create 2 – 4 Look to Learn Activities for your students
Web 2.0 Tools
- Download the Web 2 Tools Overview handout
- Copy and Paste the Tools Panel into a page for your site
- Choose from different Web 2 icons
- RSS in Plain English (Common Craft)
- Tom’s Strategies and Podcasts, YouTube Channels, etc.
- Tutorial: Add a Netvibes Feed
- Tutorial: Add a Link
- iTunes – Embed a podcast with a player
- Add Flickr images through Creative Commons Advanced Search
- TED / YouTube Channels & TED site content by Tags
- Add the Tools Panel for your site (and use these icons to edit it for yourself?)
- Use Dropbox for online file storage (podcasts)
Manage your Rich Media Links
- (Social Bookmarking explained by Common Craft)
- Diigo Social Bookmarks: get the toolbar, login and start bookmarking!
- Consider joining or pinching from the Look to Learn Diigo Group
The ClassPortal Twist
- Child Slave Labor News (see also “Slavery Footprint“)
- PodKids Australia
- Possible Topics?
- Brainstorm your passions
- Contribute to Wikipedia? – Simple English Wikipedia on China vs. regular China page
- Change.org: Social Network For Social Activism
- OXFAM – Reshaping our World – Poverty Maps (+ Complete Story Library from OXFAM)
- Idea Index from the Buckminster Fuller Challenge
- The Girl who Silenced the U.N. for Five Minutes
- End Homelessness
- 10 Revolutionary Acts of Courage by Ordinary People
- 50 Items That Should Change the World
C E Q • A LL / Seek all!
Self-managed Learning Framework for students