Studies of Asia in Melbourne

Welcome

Please begin by using the comments link on this post
to share your personal learning goals for this workshop.

I have the pleasure of facilitating another 2 Day workshop for the Studies of Asia group at the Victorian department of education. Lindy Stirling, State Advisor, Studies of Asia (see the Studies of Asia Wiki) has organised this session at the Clifton’s in Melbourne’s beautiful CBD.

Studies of Asia Links

Activity 1: Great examples from previous Studies of Asia Workshops

To get a sense of what we will be creating over the next two days, please explore the work created by participants in previous sessions.  Try to notice the features, strategies and benefits gained from such a learning platform.

Extended Variations

Brainstorm what you noticed using shared a shared Stixy board or Twiddla

and debrief Web 2.0 terminology

Activity 2: Creating Your Smart Online Space

Fine-tuning your Blog

Activity 3: Look to Learn : : Learn to Look

Online Samples

Activity 4 – Web 2 Tools

Download the Web 2 Tools Overview handout and paste in the Tools Panel for your site.

Day 2 – Personalising Your Learning to Personalise Student Learning

Paths to Personal Success

Download the pdf for Tom’s strategies.

Path 1: Create 3 – 5 Look to Learn Activities for your students

• Settings for success
  • Making a Post – embedding YouTube
  • Creating a Page

2. Rich Resources

• Get a Diigo Account
  • RSS Feeds from Netvibes
  • Set up a page of feeds
  • Add it as a link from your blog
  • iTunes – browse and subscribe
  • YouTube / TubeChop
  • TED Talks

3. Digital Learning Pedagogy

• Dispositions, Habits of Mind, Intrinsic Motivation
  • Look to Learn
  • ClassPortals
  • WebQuests 2.0

4. Self-managed Learning Framework for students

• CEQ•ALL
  • The Remembered 20%
  • Map Skills to Hit 50
  • The Students’ Half

Feedback

Important – please complete this form (made with jotform)

This entry was posted in Tom's Work, workshop and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

42 Responses to Studies of Asia in Melbourne

1. Rachael says:

I would like to learn how to integrate ICT and Asia studies in my 1/2 class.

2. Mat Thomson says:

Main goals for the following two days is to gain knowledge and of some practical and engaging ways of incorporating studies of Asia within our curriculum.

3. Mike Santo says:

I would like to increase the use of ICT in my classroom, and have a much better understanding of how it could help me and my students with their learning.

4. Mathew says:

I would like to learn how I could further incorporate studies of asia into my classes learning.

5. Helen Collins says:

I am hoping to find and learn how to utilise some fantastic online tools and resources to use with P-6 students.

6. David says:

Goals:
    To improve my understanding and use of Web 2.0 technologies and to leave here with ideas to implement in the classroom.

7. Don Howden says:

goalsfor this Pd are –
    1. sample some new ideas to support learning
    2. increase the resources the school has available to further develop and target learning
    3. support teachers to include studies of asia in their teaching

8. Sun Yi Song says:

My learning goals for 2 days are to explore what people have done for the “Studis of Asia” and develop units of work (if possible) which can apply to the classroom at school.

9. Kim says:

Given that the students have only 1 class a week, how will this session enhance their learning.

10. Andrew Pearce says:

Looking to increase the use of, and effective incorporation of ICT in the classroom to assist student learning and engagement

11. Martin says:

Looking forward to seeing ways ICT can be integrated into a range of classroom topics (inc asia) and seeing some new web 2.0 sites.

12. Panayiota Nicolaou says:

Hoping to become more confident and learning about the different programs available.

13. Paul Whitehead says:

I would like to learn how to integrate ICT into our Asian Studies program for our grade 5 students and also find out what is available to assist with the teaching of Indonesian as a LOTE study for grade 6.

14. Cassie Palmer says:

To find some clear and accessible ways of implementing further ICT into our newly developed LOTE program.

To become more adept at using ICT as an interactive communication tool with our students.

15. Jackie says:

Today I would like to learn more about Asian Studies, as that is our focus for the term, and some ways to incorporate ICT into an Asian Studies and/or LOTE lesson.

16. Lydia says:

I would like to learn more about different ICT approaches to engage students in studies of Asia.

17. Amanda Kingsley says:

I would like to learn how to integrate ICT & Asia studies into my 5/6 class in an engaging, interesting & fun way!

18. Brian Williams says:

I would like to learn practical and engaging ways i can incorporate ICT into my program on a regular basis.

19. Joel Snowden says:

1. Using ipods effectively e.g. podcasts and apps for language learning

2. Tools/resources for communicating with others

3. Self study/self guiding techniques for students

4. Assessment tools and ideas for asian languages

20. ali says:

I will be teaching a unit on the (hi)story of China to year 10. I couch it in terms of “How to Interrogate the Story”. I want to make it up to date and captivating!

21. Dave Slater says:

I would like to gain more understanding about how to use ICT more effectively in a 5/6 classroom, particularly with studies of Asia.

22. Allan Goedecke says:

I aim to learn about web 2 tools that will help teachers engage students with studies of Asia.

23. Maria Bent says:

I would like to learn how to incorporate studies of Asia using ICT as a learning tool – Grade 3/4.

24. Elmar says:

Integrating Studies of Asia effectively at Yrs 3&4 – using ICT resources in the classroom

25. Han says:

I would like to know how to use ICT to increase the level of skill of independent learning in my LOTE lessons for level 3/4 (grade 3-6).

Have a good day.

26. Andrew Greco says:

Integrate Studies Of Asia within a Prep-6 curriculum looking at how it can be modified for a juniour school level and extended for senior school so thay it can be delivered by teachers effectively

27. Lydia says:

My site is:

grade5lsblog.wordpress.com

Thanks!
    Lydia

28. Site is : yarrasoa.wordpress.com

29. Han says:

HEre’s my wordpress

loteteacher.wordpress.com

30. Dave Slater says:

Thanks for an amazing two days! I’ve learnt lots and can’t wait to keep learning so much more!! Best PD I’ve been to! Cheers!

31. Thanks Tom. As the saying goes… You are never to old to learn!

32. Elmar says:

Thanks for the full and active sessions – great it to get us going

33. Darrin says:

loved working on wordpress. Got into Prezy
    Create astonishing presentations live and on the web for educators PRO version is only $59 per year.
    check it out.

34. Don says:

thanks for some great tools for a host of tasks.

donhowden.wordpress.com

Thanks!

Don

35. Leigh says:

My brain hurts!!

36. Sun Yi Song says:

My website is http://www.sunsonginmel.wordpress.com.
    Thank you for this great workshop!

37. ali garnett says:

Thanks Tom, for your patience. I would have liked to have heard more about your pedagogical ideas but I guess I can read what you write. The social theorist/economist that I was talking about is called Amartya Sen. I think you would enjoy reading his work and about his influence in education.

38. Had a great two days and really got some practical ideas for using the blog in my classes.

39. Maria Bent says:

I have found these two days to be very valuable and informative.
    mcbent.wordpress.com
    Thanks Tom and the organisers.

40. Thank you 😉 excellent PD!