American, 1910 – 1962
Number 1, 1950
American, 1912 – 1956
The Name II
American, 1905 – 1970
- What kinds of things are the subjects of these paintings?
- What’s the real subject of these paintings?
- Why would a gifted artist want to skip painting people, places, and things?
- Which elements of design stand out the most?
- How much skill would it take to create paintings like these?
- Would you like to read general questions for looking at art?
Style & artists:
- Abstract Expressionism
- Public Broadcasting Service site on Abstract Expressionism
- About Lavender Mist
- Background on Jackson Pollock from the WebMuseum
- Mark Rothko exhibit at the National Gallery in D.C
- Web feature on Jackson Pollock at the National Gallery in D.C.
- Grandfathers and Influences from abstract-art.com
Historical or cultural issues: